Digital art is a challenging and fun way to create artwork.
In this article I will show you 3 things you need to get started with digital art. Then, you can explore the world of digital painting and drawing for yourself.
1. Buy a graphics tablet
A graphics tablet is the best way to start digital drawing. It helps you make better, cleaner lines than your hand will allow for with a regular mouse. You can also use it as an input device and draw straight on to the screen!
There are lots of different graphics tablets that offer their own unique advantages. This will depend on what level of drawing ability you have.
For beginners, a Wacom tablet is the best option. They’re super affordable and have tons of features that make it easier to adjust your drawing as you go.
For intermediate artists there are tablets made by Huion or Monoprice. They offer better precision for less money than brands like Wacom. These mid-priced options come with better hardware, features and more precise pen tracking.
For the pros, a Wacom Intuos tablet is what you need to get started.
The difference in quality makes it seem like it’s worlds apart from the cheaper models. But, beware that investing in one of these means spending over $200 – just on your drawing equipment!
- A graphics tablet is a great way to improve your drawing skills.
- You can draw on the screen with a pen-like stylus and it will show up on your computer.
- Pressure sensitivity lets you vary line thickness depending on how hard you press.
- Professional artists use Graphics tablets for everything from animation to illustration.
- They’re an investment in your future career.
2. Download some free software
The best free digital art software to download from the internet is Sketchbook Pro. It is user-friendly and it has a variety of features that make it easy to create realistic drawings.
Additionally, it comes with tutorials for beginners which will help you learn how to use the program more quickly!
If you are a pro, Adobe Photoshop might be a better choice for you. It is more expensive, but it has the best features and quality of any digital art software.
- Sketchbook Pro is a vector-based drawing and painting app.
- It is easy to learn for beginners, but also offers advanced tools too.
- You can export your artworks as JPEG or PNG files, so it’s perfect for sharing on social media or with clients.
- The app includes many built-in templates and brushes to help you get started.
3. Practice using a graphics tablet to get better at digital art
One of the best ways to get better at drawing is by practicing.
Sorry. Just getting a graphics tablet is not going to make you and expert overnight 🙁
There are some great tutorials available to learn how to use a graphics tablet. It’s important to practice digital art but also traditional forms like drawing, painting or sketching.
Traditional art skills will help you get better at digital art. You learn how to create realistic compositions, with lighting and shading.
And if your not sure which type of artist you want to be in the future there is nothing wrong with practicing both!
- Practice with the tools to get used to controlling it.
- Draw a few lines and shapes with different thicknesses, then use the eraser tool to erase them.
- Experiment with using a variety of brushes for different effects.
- Draw some freehand doodles in black and white.
In this article, we’ve discussed 3 ways of drawing digitally and provided you with some helpful tips to get started. If you’re considering buying a graphics tablet for your business, check out our reviews pages!
So… you’ve invested in a graphics tablet and downloaded free software to practice your digital art skills.
The key is being disciplined about sitting down daily for 30 minutes or an hour at the same time with your graphics tablet and open up Photoshop!
Keep practicing and you’ll get better. You can use these skills to make your own art or design for a company!